The Saranac Lake Community Store (SLCS) is a private, for-profit corporation located in Saranac Lake, New York and owned by a diverse group of residents and friends of the region. It is the first and only such enterprise in the Northeast.
The SLCS or, as it’s known these days, The Community Store, opened its doors in October, 2011, and occupies approximately 4,000 square feet of rented space at 97 Main Street in Saranac Lake. Although small, it is a department store, carrying men’s, women’s, and children’s clothing, footwear, and accessories, baby items, furnishings for kitchen, bath, and bedroom, seasonal items, locally-produced items, books by local authors, giftware, yarns, craft supplies and more.
The Community Store is seeking qualified candidates to fill the critical position of merchandise buyer. The ideal applicant will have previous experience as a buyer for a retail operation. Specific responsibilities will include:
● Sourcing new products;
● Establishing and nurturing both new and existing product supplier relationships;
● Ongoing development and implementation of merchandising strategies in partnership with the Store’s Operations Manager;
● Working with the Operations Manager and staff to set the windows and floor displays;
● Working with the Operations Manager to analyze sales trends and make product adjustments;
● Working with the Operations Manager, Board members and staff to plan and implement an effective marketing strategy for the Store.
● Support the Manager in meeting P&L goals as set by the Board of Directors.
This is a half-time, salaried position. The Buyer will report directly to the Operations Manager. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume (by November 30) to:
Search Committee, Saranac Lake Community Store, 97 Main St. Saranac Lake, NY 12983